Monday 12 November 2012

Asian Stereotypes

I've been seeing this a lot recently on youtube, twitter and etc, so I've decided to give my opinion on a few asian stereotypes that really caught my eye.

'Asians are identical; we all look the same to white people.'
Then can I say that white people are identical, that they all look the same to Asians? I mean, I honestly can't tell the difference (in looks) between Americans/Australians/British/Canadians like how white people can't tell the difference between Chinese/Koreans/Japanese/Thai/Vietnamese. You see? It's the same thing.

'Asians have no fashion sense.'
Ok this I totally disagree. Just because a group of asian people don't dress like how society wants them to, doesn't mean all asians are like that. For example, Jimmy Choo. Oh yeah he's asian, he's one of the top designers in the whole world. hmmm. 

'Asians must get A+ grades.'
I can definitely relate to this. Asian parents often have very high expectations of their kids. To them, A equals average, B equals bad, C equals crap, D equals disowned and F equals fucked. Anything less than an A is no good. This causes a lot of asian kids to get stressed up about this matter. *points to myself*

'Asians are good in maths.'
Now I have no idea where this came from but this is somewhat true. That still doesn't mean all asians are good in maths. You can't just assume that. Everyone, including asians have our different talents and things we're good at. It doesn't always have to be maths. 

'Asians cannot speak English.'
Bitch I'm asian. If I'm not speaking English, what am I speaking?

'Every conversation with asian parents turn out to be a life lesson/lecture.'
Yes I can confirm that 90% of this statement is true. Asking one simple question like 'mum can I go out?' can turn into a 3 week long lecture/scolding. Maybe that's the way asian parents discipline their kids or something, I honestly don't know man.

'Tutoring because 6 hours of school is not enough.'
I actually have 7 hours of school and I have tons of tuition, almost everyday, sometimes even twice a day.


Love,
Pris

No comments:

Post a Comment